What’s the PAC?
Each year, the Red Umbrella Fund publishes a Call for Applications. The Programme Advisory Committee (PAC) reviews the applications and advises the ISC about which new grants to make. PAC members read and score applications and select which applications should be funded by the Red Umbrella Fund. The PAC has 7 – 11 members, the majority (at least 80%) are sex workers. PAC members can stay on the PAC for up to 3 years. The Red Umbrella Fund is committed to have a PAC that is diverse in terms of gender and geography.
Who can apply?
The Red Umbrella Fund is looking for two sex workers or strong allies from:
- US & Canada
- Eastern Europe & Central Asia (except Turkey)
PAC membership is voluntary, unpaid and requires a high level of commitment. PAC members must be able to read 3 – 4 proposals each week during the review period. Positions for allies who are not sex workers are very limited on the PAC and relevant sex worker candidates will be prioritized over allies.
- Language: able to easily read and discuss funding proposals in English.
- Availability: able to commit about 5 hours each week to review and score applications between 15 August and 30 September 2017 and to participate in the PAC meeting in Amsterdam (2 – 5 October). Travel and meeting costs will be covered.
- Affiliation: be part of and/or endorsed by at least one sex worker-led group or network.
- Internet: PAC participation requires regular email and some Skype contact.
What can you gain?
- Participating in the PAC is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the Red Umbrella Fund’s grantmaking to sex worker groups around the world.
- Red Umbrella Fund staff provide individual orientations to all new PAC members.
- Learn about sex worker activism in different regions and work directly with other sex workers during a three-day meeting in Amsterdam. Many PAC members also find the experience useful for their own fundraising and activism. Feedback from PAC members’ experiences:
“It’s been very exciting and rewarding to be part of this amazing project.”
“The PAC has given me an insight into other regions and contexts, and understanding of the global sex workers movement.”
“This process and PAC meeting really inspired me and gave me ideas for my organization.”
How can you apply?
- Check if you meet all the requirements mentioned above.
- Get an endorsement from your organisation.
- Complete the self-nomination form HERE.
- E-mail the form together with the endorsement letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by:
9 July 2017.
Applicants will be informed of the final decision by 24 July 2017.