PLEASE NOTE: FOR SECURITY PURPOSES WE WILL ONLY ACCEPT APPLICATIONS THROUGH OUR ONLINE SYSTEM
Review our documents carefully! Our funding criteria and priorities remain the same, however our procedures have been updated to improve accessibility, security and safety of our applicants.
Take Eligibility Questionaire
The Online Application begins with a series of questions designed to assist you in determining if your organisation is eligible to apply for a Red Umbrella Fund grant.
This is an eligibility questionaire to make sure that your organisation meets our eligibility criteria and therefore is eligible to apply for funding.
Check Your Status
Following this questionaire, you will see a message letting you know if your organisation are eligible or not. If your organisation is eligible, you will see the link to proceed with your application on our online system.
If you are not sure how to answer any of these questions, you may contact us at [email protected].
The eligibility questionaire and application can be here (in English, Spanish, French, and Russian).
You may work offline, using these forms, but only applications submitted through the online system will be considered. To work offline, download the 2021 Application Form here:
English, Spanish, French, Russian).
When you are ready to upload the content into our online application, remember that you must first complete the eligibility questionaire (see above). You can save your online application and return to the system later. You may resume using the link at the top of the online form. You will also receive an email with a link to your online form.
Who Can Apply?
Red Umbrella Fund provides funding to sex worker-led organisations and networks that are:
- based in any country in the world;
- registered or unregistered;
- led by sex workers who identify as women, men, trans and/ or non-binary.
If you wish to apply, your group, organisation or network must fulfill each of the following criteria:
- Be led by sex workers.
- Focused on benefiting sex workers.
- Be committed to connect to and strengthen the sex workers’ rights movement.
- Agree with all the principles of Red Umbrella Fund.
We do NOT fund:
- Organisations that are not led by sex workers;
- Organisations that seek to abolish or criminalise sex work;
- Organisations exclusively providing social or medical services;
- Organisations founded by or structurally dependent on political parties, government agencies or religious institutions;
- Business, credit programmes or income-generating activities;
- Academic research;
- Individual requests;
- Organisations that have a project or programme with or for sex workers, while the organisation as a whole has a broader focus.
What Kind of Grants Do We Give?
TYPE OF FUNDING
Red Umbrella Fund provides flexible core funding to support the general coordination, functioning and strengthening of a group, organisation or network and its members. Core funding can be used to cover self identified needs of the grantee partner including registration costs, rent, salaries, advocacy, (peer led) capacity building, membership meetings, activities, etc. Our funding is flexible, therefore grantees can adjust their plans during the grant.
HOW MUCH FUNDING CAN BE REQUESTED?
Red Umbrella Fund currently provides two-year grants of between €10.000 and €80.000 (up to €130.000 for regional networks). The average grant size has been about €20.000 for two years. Please be realistic in your request and do not automatically request the maximum amount.
More details and tips in the 2022 Application Guidelines.
Resources for Funders
Our Resources include Publications & Tools as well as Funders, Networks, and Allied Organisations. Sex worker-led organisations that want to learn more about Red Umbrella Fund, sex workers’ rights, and participatory grant making begin here.