Each year, the Red Umbrella Fund launches a public Call for Applications, inviting sex worker-led organisations to send in their requests for funding. To date, the Red Umbrella Fund has launched three global Call for Applications (in 2012, 2013, and 2014).
Summary of the selection process:
- The Red Umbrella Fund publishes a Call for Applications on its website and social media pages, inviting sex worker-led groups and networks to fill in a brief application form to request funding to support their work.
- Following the Call for Applications, the Red Umbrella Fund staff does the initial screening of the applications based on eligibility (the criteria) and references.
- The Programme Advisory Committee (PAC) – which is the Red Umbrella Fund’s peer review panel led by sex workers from across the world – reads all the eligible applications and makes a selection of groups to be prioritized for funding by the Red Umbrella Fund.
- After the International Steering Committee (ISC), again with a majority of sex workers in its membership, approves the final selection the groups are contacted.
- Groups that have made it to the final selection will be requested to develop a more detailed budget and work plan that fits the respective grantsize and grant timeline.
We make effort to provide individualized responses to applicants that were considered eligible but that were not selected for funding.