Red Umbrella Fund is looking for a temporary Programme Associate who will support the fund in its grantmaking and accompaniment and development of sex worker leadership in grantmaking.
The tasks of the PA will contribute to strengthening Red Umbrella Fund’s sex worker-led and participatory grantmaking process and accompanying grantees in complying with their grant’s requirements. Programme Associates (PA’s) are the first and main contact for sex worker-led organisations and networks, including Red Umbrella Fund grantees.
Location: The position is available for individuals working remotely and/or for individuals working in Amsterdam, Netherlands. Applicants with sex work experience are strongly encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will have to be able to align their working hours with others in the team currently located in Western Europe and Eastern Africa.
We particularly welcome applications from those targeted by racism, homophobia, transphobia, classism and disablism.
Reports To: Paul-Gilbert Colletaz, Coordinator
About Red Umbrella Fund
Red Umbrella Fund is the first and only global fund dedicated to supporting the rights of sex workers. It was established in 2012 to respond to the lack of funding available for sex workers’ rights organising. In line with its core values of autonomy and ownership, Red Umbrella Fund is a sex worker-led, participatory fund. Each year Red Umbrella Fund launches a public Call for Applications inviting sex worker-led organisations to send in their requests for funding.
Red Umbrella Fund is led by a partnership of sex workers and donors with significant sex worker majorities in both grant decisions and overall governance. Our decision-making structure consists of an International Steering Committee (ISC), which is responsible for making strategic decisions, and a Program Advisory Committee (PAC), which is our grants review panel that selects the groups to fund. Both the ISC and the PAC have sex workers in the majority.
In addition to these committees, Red Umbrella Fund has a small Secretariat that is responsible for the daily operations and financial sustainability. In line with our values, the Secretariat prioritises hiring sex workers for staff positions. Red Umbrella Fund is currently seeking to hire a Programme Associate to continue to strengthen the capacity of its secretariat to manage its grantmaking and accompaniment work and contribute to Red Umbrella Fund’s work on funder advocacy.
Red Umbrella Fund is hosted by Mama Cash, the oldest international women’s fund, which has been a champion for sex workers’ rights since 1983. Mama Cash is based in the Netherlands and is on a mission for every woman, girl, trans and intersex person to have the power and resources to participate fully and equally in creating a peaceful, just and sustainable world. Mama Cash provides Human Resources and Financial Administrative support for Red Umbrella Fund.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Grants administration and accompaniment (such as due diligence, discuss work plans, budgets and progress reports together with grantee-partners, prepare contract documents, maintain the database, maintain relationship, support in funding applications);
- Support other staff member with the logistics for meetings and events (Red Umbrella Fund holds a yearly meeting for its International Steering Committee as well as a yearly Programme Advisory Committee Meeting);
- Contribute actively to Red Umbrella Fund’s reflections on continuously improving its systems in line with our values and principles detailed in our 2020-2025 Strategic Plan.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Support for the Red Umbrella Fund’s mission, values and principles as detailed in Red Umbrella Fund’s 2020-2025 Strategic Plan.
- 3 years of relevant work experience
- Excellent organisational skills to independently manage multiple priorities and tasks.
- Good communication skills in English to communicate with a variety of partners including representatives of sex worker-led and founders from different parts of the world and to develop learning tools and publications.
- Computer literate (proficient in MS Office, Outlook).
- Ability to work with actors based in different parts of the world.
- Candidates with sex work experience and/or experience with the sex workers’ rights movement are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Experience in grantmaking and/or philanthropy is desirable but not mandatory.
- Fluency in other Red Umbrella Fund languages (Chinese simplified, French, Spanish, Russian) is desirable but not mandatory.
WHAT WE OFFER
This position is a temporary position for 4 to 6 months to replace a staff member who is currently not working.
The monthly salary for this position depends upon experience and is based on CAO Welzijn scale 7, €2.615,- to €2.889,- based on a full-time salary. Depending on your location you can work fully remote or join us in our centrally located office in Amsterdam.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are invited to submit their CV and a cover letter addressing the knowledge, skills and abilities mentioned above at: [email protected] by 6th of February, 2023, 23:59 CET.
The person should be available to start as soon as possible.