Our 2016 Call for Applications is now closed.
Download the 2016 Application Guidelines here.
Download the correct 2016 application form here:
See the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) here.
If you are looking for an emergency grant, click here.
Download the poster here.
What we fund
- based in any country in the world;
- registered or unregistered;
- led by women, men and/or trans.
If you wish to apply, your group, organisation or network must fulfill each of the following three criteria:
1. Be led by sex workers for the benefit of sex workers.
2. Be committed to connect to and strengthen the sex workers’ rights movement
3. Agree with all the principles of the Red Umbrella Fund.
We do NOT fund:
- Organisations that are not led by sex workers;
- Organisations that have a project or programme with or for sex workers, while the organisation as a whole has a broader focus;
- Organisations that seek to abolish or criminalise sex work;
- Organisations exclusively providing social or medical services;
- Organisations founded by or structurally dependent on political parties, government agencies or religious institutions;
- Business, credit programmes or income-generating activities;
- Academic research;
- Individual requests.
What kind of grants do we give?
The Red Umbrella Fund provides flexible core funding to support the general coordination, functioning and strengthening of a group, organisation or network and its members. Core funding can be used to cover expenses such as registration costs, rent, salaries, advocacy, (peer led) capacity building, membership meetings, networking activities, etc. Our funding is flexible in that it may be used and adjusted largely according to self-identified needs of the grantee. Our grants are not meant solely for project-based activities.
How much funding can be requested?
The Red Umbrella Fund currently provides two-year grants of between €8.000 and €50.000. The average grant size has been about €20.000 per year. Please be realistic in your request and do not automatically request the maximum amount.
More details in the Application Guidelines above.